An Inspired Performance from the Baron and Navarro Piano Duo to a Packed U Tobe Recital Hall at FGCU
by Allan Bowditch, Engage Estero’s Chief Communications Officer
A capacity audience at the Bower School of Music and the Arts were treated to an impeccable performance from two of the world’s top pianists here in Estero! On Sunday October 28th Prof Michael Baron, the Distinguished Professor of Music and Head of Keyboard Studies and the Bower School of Music, and Priscila Navarro, who graduated Summa Cum Laude from Florida University and is winner of an amazing array of music awards in many countries, treated the audience to a spellbinding display of piano dueting. Baron and Navarro have performed together many times, several of those have been at Carnegie Hall and their synchronicity was so good it was as though there was only one person responsible for all four hands on the keyboard!
The program of music they selected involved Georges Bizet’s Jeux L’Enfant’s (children’s games), Liszt’s Hungarian Rhapsody No2, Schubert’s Fantasy in F minor and several items from Gershwin including Rhapsody in Blue. A resounding and well-deserved standing ovation was given to both pianists.
Some other upcoming events for November at the U Tobe Recital Hall at FGCU’s Bower School of Music will include:
- Sunday Nov 5th @ 3pm The Jazz Ensemble
- Monday Nov 8th @ 7 30 pm Percussion Chamber Ensemble
- Thursday Nov 9th @ 7 30 pm Daniel Lochrie Clarinet and Bass Clarinet & Michael Baron Piano with violinist Kyle Szabo. (part of the Nisita Concert Series)
- Monday Nov 13th @t 7 30 pm Wind Chamber Ensembles
- Tuesday Nov 14th @ 7 30 pm Symphonic Band
- Wed Nov 15th @ 7 30 pm Wind Chamber Choirs